Tuesday, 21 August 2012

JEWEL: Getting Money for Japan

HOW TO GET MONEY

So I hope you've realised by now you probably will need some cash when you get to Japan. In my case, I have two credit cards to use, and my debit card which I'm unsure will work. I've also got some Japanese yen and some traveller's cheques. "But how do I get those?" I hear you ask. It's actually not that hard, so don't worry! I think you can probably get them at a travel agency, but to be honest it's probably easiest to just order from the post office. You can even order online, here: https://postoffice2.travelmoneyonline.co.uk/wizard/POLHD/STANDARD/

ICU suggested we take about £500 in cash and £2,500 in traveller's cheques to last for the first month or so (remember you need to pay things like health insurance fee, buy a bike, accommodation fee etc, which is why the figure might seem a bit high). Pro tip: if you're an ICU student at least, you can pay your first accommodation fee (3 months rent + admin fee) in traveller's cheques.  Obviously get everything in yen though. Please don't just show up with £500. Also remember you have to sign the traveller's cheques (AS DO I, CRAP).

As for Japanese banking/getting money after that stuff runs out I don't have a clue. I think you have to set up a bank account, but I don't know how to so I really hope someone helps me. Also, I don't know where to convert traveller's cheques to yen...


That concludes my short instructions on how to get money.
Until next time,
Lauren

2 comments:

  1. What kind of credit cards did you get? STA do a weird card where you can put money on it and use it in foreign countries but not sure if I want it. Did you go to your bank to tell them you're studying abroad? I still need to tell mine haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey twin, I got a mastercard and something else...I really hope they work. I've heard differing things about what works and what doesn't ;_; Whoops I forgot to do that, better do it tonight or something...

      Delete