HOW TO GET A VISA
So, the other week I went to apply for my visa at the Japanese Consulate in Edinburgh. http://www.edinburgh.uk.emb-japan.go.jp/visa.htm
^^ Ta-da~ before you go, you should bring the visa form on that website. Things that might be helpful to know about that form: There's no need to adhere to the photo dimensions, just use a passport sized photo. Your guarantor is usually your Japanese university, as is your inviter. Your job address should be Edinburgh University (or whichever uni you go to~) You probably don't need to fill in the ID number part (at least I didn't). For names and addresses of hotels, you need only put in your accommodation address, regardless if you're staying in a hotel or with Kimura Takuya when you get to Japan. Intended length of stay doesn't have to be exact.
The consulate is located somewhere off of Princes's Street (perhaps one day I'll add a map, but I can't be bothered right now) and was relatively easy to find, even if you did what me and Fiona did and take the bus past your actual destination and have to find your way using gps. I'd therefore recommend you walk it. So once you get there, you have to give them your form, your passport, your certificate of eligibility and a passport sized photo to the woman behind the counter (there might be more you have to give but it's not coming to mind right now). She'll then check over your form and point out anything you've missed. The visa itself isn't a separate card or anything (which I thought it would be...) but rather it's a page printed in your passport. Therefore you obviously need to get your passport back at some point. It usually takes 5-7 days to get this done. I asked to pick it up, so I didn't actually have to pay the fee (£23 for single entry visa) right then, but when I came back the following week. You can ask to have it delivered in which case you probably DO have to pay that £23 upfront.
When you get your visa back you get several sheets of paper with it about how when you move to Japan you should aim to get a house within 1 month. Which begs the question 'where do you stay during that month...'. Also, your certificate of eligibility will be stapled onto your visa and you're not allowed to remove it otherwise the Japanese gods will smite you.
Until next time,
Lauren
Very helpful, good reference for me since I haven't got my visa yet! Cheers twin.
ReplyDelete